Position Description: Job Summary:
The Registered Nurse is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating a plan of patient care utilizing ANA Standards
and the Nursing Process. Acts as a patient advocate. Provides support, information and direct care. Utilizes equipment and
technology skillfully and is technically competent in nursing procedures. Educates patients and families on significant self-care
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Ability to read and communicate in the English language.
1. Demonstrates organizational ability by using time and equipment effectively.
2. Works under pressure of time and accuracy, often in stressful situations.
3. Works with patients and families in crisis situations and emotional/mental alterations.
4. Demonstrates skill and accuracy in written and oral communications.
5. Frequently works with grieved, despondent, angry and mentally disturbed patients.
6. Takes necessary immediate action when handling personnel problems.
Responsibility for Assets:
Works with numerous expensive and complex instruments that may include IV controllers, hypothermia units, vacuum
regulators, computers, portable and bedside cardiac/pressure monitors and other specialized equipment. Has thorough understanding of proper working order of equipment and reports maintenance needs promptly. Is conscious of and participates in cost containment efforts.
Contact with Others:
1. Communicates in a courteous, accurate, and timely manner with: patient, family, significant others, physicians, visitors and other health care team members.
2. Keeps private life and personal biases that may have negative impact on unit function separate from work issues.
1. Special procedures and requirements.
Ability to work with general, ortho, gyn and neuro cases. Unit is set up with 6 Specialty Teams and a General Pool. All Supplemental employees will work in the general pool.
2. Type of equipment.
No computer charting, but they do use the PACS system for x-rays.
3. Additional skills and abilities.
Ability to act as a Circulating Nurse. Ability to anticipate changing needs of the surgical patient and adjusts plan of care to meet those needs. Scrub experience preferred.
4. Licensure and Certification requirements.
Active MD or Compact State License in good standing. BLS Certification.
5. Call, special schedule or floating requirements.
Shifts as per request. 2 to 3 shifts of call per month, including every other weekend.
6. Information about the unit.
OR has a total of 90 internal employees. Average 1,000 to 1,200 procedures a month. Have 14 suites currently with an additional 2 up on the L&D floor for c-sections. In the process of renovating 2 rooms and creating one more + 2 digital OR suites. Surgical scrubs are provided.
Comments: 10 hour days, call possible